If you follow me on Instagram, you may remember that I am a total Naturalista. For the last two years I have been more intentional about caring for, loving, and preserving my natural curls. And now of course- Connor’s curls too! So when I recently heard about Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls from Sai De Silva (of @ScoutTheCity), I really wanted to give it a try!
And let me just say, once I picked up the product in the store & read its label, Miss Jessie practically ‘had me at hello’ with this description: “If you don’t want ramen noodle definition and instead want a larger, expanded, fluffy curl then PILLOW SOFT CURLS™ is for you!” – SOLD! Lol!
Now before I get into my review, here’s a little info on our hair:
After my big chop in March of 2015 I still had a bit of damaged ends that needed daily TLC, and a heavier curl-defining product was necessary. Fortunately, my hair has grown and is much healthier! However (and unfortunately), it has been feeling weighed down, oily, and a bit crunchy! – No Bueno!
Connor’s curls are a bit tighter than mine (and obviously shorter), but I find that they need more moisture or they will look very dry by the end of the day. Previously, I had to condition her tresses at night (with a kid’s leave-in conditioner), moisturize them in the morning with an oil/water mixture, and then style them with a heavier kids styling cream afterward. This is too much product for a toddler’s hair, if you ask me! And I felt that she was ready for a light, adult hair care product.
After one use, I immediately noticed a difference in the volume and softness of my hair! My hair really did feel pillow soft, fresh, and my curls were poppin’ on a whole new level! And I love that they look SO Natural now! After a week or so, I started using Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls on Connor’s ringlets too. Her curls also stay on point and are looking a bit more defined. I also love that I don’t have to use as much product to keep her hair moisturized; a total win!!
- I only need about a capful to spread it through my bra- strap length hair (& less for Connor’s) – it has been a couple of months and I am still working my way through our first bottle.
- No fruity smell! – Am I the only one that hates walking around smelling like a bag of skittles?!
- I can let my hair air dry without worrying that it will look drastically different when it does or by the end of the day.
- Somehow it minimizes frizz, while maintaining great volume, shape, and softness.
Here are a few things I don’t like as much about this product (I really had to nit-pick to find a few cons):
- The price tag – at almost $23 for 8.5 oz.; it is not super expensive (especially compared to similar natural hair care products), but I would hope not to spend much more on a styling lotion.
- You may need to pair it with another edge control product or styling cream if you like your edges looking super neat, as I do.
The Big & Short
Overall, I would totally recommend this for all of you curly haired Chica’s with hair similar to Connor and I! I love the smell, touch, volume, and texture of our hair when I use it. It may be a little expensive depending on your budget, but has been totally worth the price tag to get the look for my hair that I’ve always wanted.
Let me know if you try it or if you know of some other curly girl hair products you would like to see me review!
*Click here for more info on Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls or to purchase this product*